Are you searching for the meaning of the delightful, fragrant cosmos flower? The following article will introduce you to the meaning of this flower, which is one of the reasons this flower is so popular.
The cosmos flower is native to Mexico. The Cosmos genus includes the species Cosmos bipinnatus which is commonly referred to as the Mexican Aster, Cosmos sulphureus also called the Yellow Cosmos, Cosmos atrosanguineus also known as the Chocolate Cosmos, and others. The chocolate cosmos is called so because its fragrance is similar to that of chocolate.
The flowers of the cosmos plant are produced in a capitulum that is surrounded by a ring of broad ray florets and central disc florets. The flowers come in varied bright colors like white, pink, orange, yellow, and scarlet. They can be single or double-colored flowers and are about 2 – 4 inches in diameter.
Meaning of the Flower
The word Cosmos in Greek means orderly, beautiful, and ornamental. The flower’s fragrance and vibrant colors give it the attributes of peacefulness, wholeness, and modesty. The typical meaning of this flower is ‘love flower’.
This flower is often used to illustrate one’s deepest feelings of love. When sent to one’s love on Valentine’s Day it can be said to mean ‘walk with me hand in hand’ and ‘see, life is indeed beautiful’.
The chocolate flower when gifted to a loved one means, ‘I love you more than anybody can’.
Growing the Plant
- You need to sow the seeds directly into the soil before the last frost of the season.
- There should be at least 12 inches of space between each individual plant.
- The seeds should be spread in soil that has freshly turned bare.
- The seeds should be pressed into the soil and not covered.
Caring for the Flowers
You should keep removing the dead flowers regularly, as this plant continues to bloom for several weeks. Do not over-fertilize or over-water the plant, as this reduces the flower production. These plants are tolerant to drought, but make sure you water them during a long dry spell. When these plants die after the first frost, remove and store them. You can use them as compost for the next year’s growth.
Some Interesting Facts
- Cosmos are herbaceous, perennial flowering plants.
- They grow to about 3 to 6 feet tall.
- The flowers bloom twice a year and only once in season.
- The leaves are simple, pinnate, or bi-pinnate, and are arranged in opposite pairs.
- The flowers can be grown in all regions and the seeds look like miniature pine needles.
Well, that was all about what the cosmos flower can signify. Give it to someone you love and make their day!