The rose has inspired people for generations. Many people feel that this beautiful flower symbolizes love, its delicate petals reflect the caress of a loved one, and its elegance is considered the touch of life itself. This brilliant flower has sparked the imagination and touched the hearts of millions across the world. The popularity of this flower is unsurpassable in the entire world.
Many people feel that this floret can bring two people together and can also brighten anyone's dull day. Apart from being an epitome of love and happiness, people use a rose to even express grief at a funeral function. Most people just go to the store and pick up a bouquet they intend to give a loved one, and there are some who love to nurture and grow these eye-soothing beauties in their home garden.
- According to fossil evidence, this flower is around 35 million years old.
- Roses have been with us for a long time now, and they have an extremely colorful history. The garden cultivation of roses began, probably in China, some 5,000 years ago.
- They were grown extensively in the Middle East during the Roman period and were used for making perfumes, for medicative purposes, and as confetti at celebrations.
- In the 15th century, this flower was used as a symbol for the factions crusading to control England. The white rose indicated 'York' and the red rose indicated 'Lancaster'. Hence, the battle became known as the 'War of the Roses'.
- In the seventeenth century, the royalty treated roses or rose water as legal tender and found usage as barter and for payments.
- In the 1800s, Napoleon's wife Josephine, established a wide collection of roses at Château de Malmaison (an estate located seven miles west of Paris). This garden became an instrumental place for Pierre Joseph Redoute's work as a botanical illustrator. In 1824, he completed his watercolor collection "Les Rose," which is still viewed as one of the finest records of botanical illustration.
- Cultivated roses were introduced into Europe from China not before the late eighteenth century.
It is a great idea to become acquainted with the different types known.
Features like individual long stem and a spiral center make this variety the most popular amongst all types. The modern hybrid tea makes for an excellent garden plant due to the fact that breeders are focusing on improving disease resistance and overall garden performance.
These are considered to be excellent landscape plants and are commonly called cluster-flowered roses. Most of the varieties grow up to a height of 2 to 4 feet, and modern assortments are capable of having over 50 blooms at the same time.
These modern climbers grow up to a height of 10 to 12 feet and is usually a repeat bloomer. There are many different types available in this variety.
When choosing roses that you are going to plant in your garden ensure that you get the type that fits your bill. If you want your garden to become fragrant, then you can prefer the ones with a strong perfume. Of course, make sure that you are not allergic to the variety being planted.
- Once you have made your choice, make sure you plant them at a place where they get around six to eight hours of sunlight everyday.
- Roses need a rich, moisture-retentive soil with a pH between 6.5 and 7. Compost should be added to create a loose texture. It should also have a high organic content, and it keeps the plant warm enough during winters. The floret will love you for this warmth!
- During the first year, these plants require a lot of water as its roots are getting established. The best way to water these plants is by drip irrigation. Standing water around the roots results in their rotting.
- These plants benefit from a steady supply of nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorous. These nutrients can be provided by using either liquid or granular fertilizers.
- Pruning helps in increasing air circulation at the center of the plant and minimizes fungus problems. Apart from stimulating new growth, pruning allows you to shape your plant in the most appealing manner.
In the past, the rose was a symbol of war, politics, and so many other things. These days this flower is regarded as the ultimate symbol of love and has the power to take anyone's breath away. The beauty that lies in its simple petals will last for a long time to come, because there will always be people who will love and cherish this simple creation.