Flowers can create a great atmosphere at any given occasion. Gerbera daisies are known for their bright and vibrant shades that can bring a smile to anyone's face. These large flowers are popularly used for flower arrangements and also make great romantic gifts. Their large flower heads are quite similar to sunflowers. The varied shades of bright yellows, gorgeous reds, lovely pinks, and pristine whites are planted in many flower gardens. The flowers also exhibit variegated coloration, which looks beautiful.
Growing these beautiful flowers in the garden will surely create a happy environment. However, you need to know some important points about taking care of these flowers. We can take a look at some tips and tricks related to the same.
How to Care for Gerbera Plant
- As is the case with many plants, gerbera daisies should be planted in well-drained soil. Avoid keeping the soil wet and squelchy at all times. One should water early on in the day so that the soil dries slightly during the day. A good drainage will help in proper growth of the plant.
- These plants need partial to full sunlight. If in a pot, you can keep it by the sunny window side.
- The seeds can be planted around 10 weeks before the last frost. While planting, ensure that you keep end of the seed pointed downwards. This is the time when the seeds need maximum light to germinate, so you can plant them in pots and keep them indoors during the frost. Once the weather turns a little warm, the pots can be moved outdoors.
- When grown outdoors, gerbera daisies would need ample water and regular fertilizers for the soil.
- This plant thrives well in cool temperatures. However, if the temperature becomes too warm, you might not witness the beautiful blooms.
Taking Care of Gerbera Bouquets
In case someone has gifted you a beautiful bouquet of gerbera flowers or you wish to keep some in a vase at home, ensure that you choose a clean vase for this purpose. Then, add some cool water to this. You need to trim the long stem as per the height of the vase. The stem should also be trimmed in a particular manner. Firstly, it should be cut underwater and another important point to note here is that it should be done at an angle of 45°. Change the water every day and also cut the stems again. To keep these flowers in full bloom for a longer period of time, add a teaspoon of sugar to the water. Also, add 2 drops of liquid bleach for a gallon of water. When in a vase, the flowers should be kept in the cooler portion of the room. Avoid placing it in direct sunlight. Keep it away from areas that receive strong gusts of wind or objects that produce a lot of heat.
With beautiful gerbera daisies all around, one is bound to feel fresh and happy at all times. This is why a pretty corsage is an ideal gift for our loved ones.