The process doesn't need much labor. Self-watering plastic containers with an inbuilt water reservoir can keep the plants moist for a long time. The water content in the containers depends on how much water the plant consumes and also on the breed of the plant. Here are few simple steps to build one at home.
- Arrange for two pots of different sizes so that they can fit perfectly. Leave a gap of an inch or two in between them.
- The pots can be of plastic, terracotta, or ceramic. While choosing the material for outer pot, make sure it has no drainage holes and is non-porous. Plastic or pottery containers should be made the outside container. The inner planter can be made up of terracotta.
- Attach the two pots by cutting the tip of epoxy syringe and removing the cap from the plunger. Now, apply a thick base of epoxy gel on the outside base of the smaller pot. The gel should be coated to the inside base of the larger pot for attachment.
- Now place the smaller pot inside the larger and press firmly to seal the both. Wait overnight and do not move the pots.
- Once the epoxy gel has dried completely, check for drainage holes. The drainage holes should be completely plugged so that there is no leakage. In case there is a leak, apply one more coat.
- Pack soil, fertilizers, organic manures in the inner planter. Pot it with colorful plants and flowers. Now water them and also make sure that you fill, the gap between the pots. The water shall seep through the porous material and provide continuous water supply to the plants.
Large ones can be constructed and kept outdoors for vegetable gardening and flowers as well. For outdoor conditions, they need to be constructed with much robust material to withstand harsh environmental conditions.
They should be constructed, keeping in mind the growing conditions of plants and the quantity of water needed. Size and location of container garden make a big difference in growth of plants.
The basic method of construction is more or less same. The only difference is that outdoor self-watering planters are meant for large-scale gardening. So, the volume of water required is more.
Indoor self-watering planters can be kept interior at window panes, drawing rooms, and corners of the house.
They can be made up of metallic, plastic, fiberglass, ceramic, etc. You can even hang them from terrace, with inbuilt water system. Try personalizing the designs at home and plant beautiful houseplants, adding ornamentation to your house.
Such planters can restore water for long. They are economic and an effective way of watering the plants.