The saucer magnolia are deciduous trees that produce large goblet-shaped flowers. The color of these flowers range from light to deep pink. The tree gets its name due to the shape and size of its flowers, which are usually about 5 inches in diameter and can go to more than 10 inches when fully-bloomed. The leaves of this tree are dark green in color and are big and broad in shape. An excellent option for landscaping, this tree has a silvery gray bark.
- This species Magnolia x soulangeana, belongs to the family of Magnoliaceae.
- The tree grows to a height of 20 to 30 feet when fully-grown.
- The space in which you grow these plants should be at least 15 to 20 feet in area.
- These plants grow well in sunny as well as shady areas.
- Besides pink, the flowers may be purple or white in color which start blooming in the middle of spring.
- The fragrant flowers attract bees and birds.
- The tree propagates from stem cuttings as well as seeds, but make sure to scarify the seeds before sowing them.
- The fleshy coating should be removed before you store the seeds.
The saucer magnolia tree grows in the form of a symmetrical crown. It should be planted in areas with enough sunshine. It looks best when the branches are allowed to droop towards the ground. The plant needs rich fertile soil that is well-drained. Make sure that you plant the tree in an area which is not water-clogged. Dry or alkaline soil is not well-suited for this plant. It can grow well in city areas. It's best to plant it in spring, as it would get enough time to grow. As the plant grows older, make sure not to prune it often, as it may injure the plant. Moreover, the wounds may not heal and lead to various infections, thereby risking the overall health of the plant.
Pruning Magnolia tree varieties can be tough as they are matted and thick at the center. The center should be kept open to give it a multi-stemmed effect. You need to ensure that the limbs, leaves, and flowers get enough space to grow. Remove all the deadwood, sprouts, crossing limbs, and branches that grow towards the center.
Pruning every year would give you the much desired effect and help the plant grow well. While pruning, cut off the old branches first, remove the other branches, and give it a proper shape at the end. At times there may be unusual growth of some branches; you need to cut these to give the tree a uniform look.
You need to take care of the Magnolia tree when you plant it, so that it does not grow haphazardly. Once it grows to a certain size, constant maintenance won't be required.