Houseplants are great for giving a natural ambiance to our homes. But some varieties may prove fatal. Let's know more about some common toxic houseplants.
Keeping houseplants is one of the most popular and fancied hobbies of many. But with kids and pets around, it becomes very essential to know about the features of the plants which you are going to bring home.
This is due to the fact that there are certain varieties which bear toxic properties and can be extremely harmful to both humans and animals. Some of these plants contain poison in certain parts, while some are entirely toxic. According to the National Poison Control Center, such plants must not be grown in houses with small children and pets.
Crown of Thorns
All parts of the plant, native to Madagascar, are poisonous for humans, animals. The dried parts are highly toxic. Its white, milky sap can cause severe blistering if in contact with open cuts or eyes, with severe pain. The nectar of the flowers is also toxic.
Caladium is also known as Elephant Ear, Heart of Jesus, and Angel Wings. It is native to South and Central America. Although the entire plant contains poison, the leaves are the ones which are potentially dangerous.
Ingestion of any part of the plant brings symptoms like severe irritation to the mouth and throat, redness, swelling and pain in the eyes, stomach ache, diarrhea, and difficulty in breathing. If ingestion happens in large amounts, it may even cause coma or death. In some cases, the poison may trigger permanent damage to the kidneys and liver.
English Ivy is an indoor and outdoor ornamental plant. Breathing difficulty, convulsions (violent uncontrolled muscle contractions), vomiting, paralysis, coma are symptoms due to ingestion of any of its part. Leaves may irritate skin on contact.
Apart from bearing oblong green leaves and small white clustered blossoms, the plant also produces red or orange berries. These berries resemble small tomatoes and are more poisonous than other parts.
Consumption may cause symptoms such as stomach pain, vomiting, headache, dilated pupils, drowsiness, diarrhea, delirium, and coma. The cherries are highly poisonous to dogs, cats, and certain birds.
Peace Lily is one of the most beautiful and popular houseplants, but it is not for homes with kids and pets around. Mouth ulcerations excessive drooling, choking, swelling, and vomiting are common symptoms which occur upon ingestion of any part of the plant.
Even a small portion of the leaves, if consumed by a dog or cat, can be more dangerous and potentially lethal.
Some Other Toxic Varieties
Adam and Eve
Heart leaf philodendron, Philodendron
If you do not have small kids or pets at home, then you need not worry about bringing any of these plants home. Otherwise, it is best if you go for non-toxic houseplants.