Who doesn't love spending time outdoors with family and friends! One can have outdoor fire pits in the backyard. These can be a part of landscape design and have a function to perform. There are different kinds of outdoor fire pits to be used for evening get-togethers. But, there are some important safety measures to use whilst planning for the same.
Safety Tips for Outdoor Fire Pits
Once decided when and where to have the fire pit, you need to follow some tips that help you enjoy without worrying.
- Outdoor fire pits should be planned away from things that may be flammable. This will dictate where you should have the pit. Choose clean, clutter-free areas. Avoid areas with overhanging branches of a tree or anything that can catch fire.
- Always avoid having outdoor fire pits in enclosed areas. The fumes caused by fire pits can be harmful if the area does not have proper ventilation.
- While using these pits, begin with a small fire. This will help you to understand many things such as the direction of the wind and the effect on the flame.
- Maintain a considerable distance from the fire pit. Sparks that are spit out from the fire pit can hurt people or even cause damage to objects around. Furniture should also be placed away from the fire pit. To prevent sparks from flying out of the pit, use screens that can be kept over the flame. This prevents the wind from disturbing the flames as well.
- Do not allow children or animals near any fire pit. Children may not really understand safety issues; therefore, elders should always supervise.
- Once you have finished the use, make sure the fire is extinguished completely. You can even use water over hot embers.
- Avoid filling the pit with excess wood or even gas (in case of gas fire pits).
- Do be careful and learn about the laws in your area. There are many areas where outdoor fire pits are not permitted for various reasons. So, brief yourself about the laws.
Use these safety tips to enjoy your time without any worries. By maintaining these rules about fire safety, your evening can turn into a truly memorable one!