Every garden has its share of flowers and grasses. What if you had one plant that was so distinct from all the others in the looks department and in other aspects. And while being different from the others, what if it offered you so much more than your regular plants? Intrigued, aren't you? So, without further ado, let's just take a look at it.
Given next is some general information on this plant that you will need to know before planting it.
- This plant falls under the shrubs and bushes category because it reaches a maximum height of around two feet.
- It is a very hardy plant and can grow well in almost any type of soil.
- As far as weather requirements are concerned, this plant can grow well anywhere between the hardiness Zone 5 to Zone 10.
- It requires a lot of sunlight to grow, but can adjust and grow well even in shade or less sunlight.
- It is classified as a perennial, evergreen plant, because it can grow throughout the year.
- The soil that this shrub is planted in should be moist and well-drained. It does not require excessive watering. So make sure that the soil is just moist to touch. Excessive watering may spoil its chances of growing properly.
- Vertically, it can grow up to 2 feet. And since it is a bush, its horizontal growth is also somewhere around 2 feet.
- The branches of this plant are very close together. This gives it a very clustered appearance.
- It has a deep gray foliage that adapts well to pruning. The most complementing shape to give this shrub is a globular one.
- The plant blossoms in summer, and the flowers borne are a shade of bright, sunny yellow and have a button-like appearance.
- This plant is generally propagated by its seeds. However, in summer, when the plant is in full bloom, you can use its cuttings for propagation.
- A lavender cotton plant can make a herb garden look very pretty, especially in summer, when it is in full bloom. The bright yellow punctuations in the middle of otherwise green plants will look beautiful.
- Apart from a herb garden, this plant can also be used effectively as a hedge or edging plant.
- The plant will adapt well to winter gardening as well, because it is drought- and cold-tolerant.
- If you're on the lookout for a flowering plant to adorn your rock garden, then this is the one to pick.
- The flowers can be dried completely and used in potpourri.
- These flowers are often used in bouquets and other flower arrangements for decoration.
- Medicinally, the flowers of this plant can be used to ease digestion problems like gastritis, flatulence, heartburn, etc. (7 flower heads added to a cup full of boiling water).
- It is also known to help prevent baldness (make a decoction using 1 liter of water and about 50-60 grams of the flowers).
- They are also known to cure people of intestinal worms.
As you can see, the lavender cotton plant is easy to grow, easy to maintain, looks gorgeous, is not very fussy, has medicinal properties, and is an awesome ornamental plant as well! It is the complete package, everything that one can hope for in a plant. So what are you waiting for? Get one for yourself, today!