Although ready-made ones are available in the market, nothing is more enjoyable than making one yourself. You can use the same technique for building smaller sets for children too.
- These units can mostly seat up to four people.
- They are generally five to six feet long and about four to five feet wide.
- The depth is based on individual requirement, but it tends to vary from 20 to 40 inches.
- Design and style can be incorporated at the back and arm rest.
- Some prefer keeping it simple, while others love to get artistic by creating a decorative back and arm rest.
- While building, one should give priority to comfort in its design.
- Most of them are made of wood, but metal sets have also become quite popular these days.
- Treated lumber boards (Length and width as per need)
- Rust-proof fasteners
- Circular saw
- Tape measure
- Electric drills
- Screws, nuts, and bolts
- Galvanized chain
- Take three rectangular 5-feet long and 1-foot wide pieces of wood, and with the electric drill and galvanized wood screws, secure them together in the shape of a big rectangle. This is the seat.
- Take four or five (depending on the desired length of the back) rectangular pieces (5-feet long and 1-foot wide) and attach them in the same way as for the seat.
- One can get a ready-made decorative back and arm rest or carve out the design themselves.
- Assemble the seat and the back frame by securing them together with nuts and bolts at five-inch intervals in between the corners.
- To build the arm rest, cut two pieces of wood about 1-foot long and another piece 3-feet long.
- The long pieces are the arm rests, while the shorter ones are their supports.
- Cut out another set of three wood pieces for the other side.
- Secure the pieces together, and attach it to the seat.
- Once this is done, it is time to paint it.
- Use varnish or paint along with anti-termite treatment for a longer fatigue life.
- Allow the paint to dry up completely.
- Determine the position of your swing. This should be done so that while you are seated in it and swaying comfortably, it does not hit a wall and get damaged.
- Attach two large hooks with the help of screws into the ceiling and beneath the frame (towards the sides of the arm rest).
- Pass the galvanized chain through the ceiling and the hook, and fasten.
It is important to have a plan for building your own set, before you actually put yourself to the task. There are a few important things one must bear in mind, while undertaking this assignment. Curve out all edges by using a sandpaper.