You can also light a bonfire and sit around it regaling each other with stories. Fire pits make your backyard or patio look more cozy and also have a utilitarian purpose to it.
While most hardware stores have ready-made fire pits that can be bought, building a gas fire pit on your own will give the satisfaction of knowing that it is a job well done. You can also get assembled fire pit that provides you all components needed to make a gas fire pit. Here, we give you a step-wise guide to build a fire pit with gas burning facilities.
Building a Gas Fire Pit
Learning to build a gas fire pit with bricks is not very difficult and the entire process in only moderately challenging. Since you will be laying a gas line for the fire pit, it may be a good idea to get this done by a professional as you want to ensure that proper safety is maintained while constructing it.
Gas fire pits are of two kinds; a match-lit kit and a remote-lit kit. While the match-lit kit needs you to turn on the gas valve and light the burner with a lighter, the remote-lit kit operates automatically. The cost of the process can range between USD 300 and USD 1,400. Let us now take a look at how you can build a gas fire pit in your backyard.
Things You Need
- Carbide blade
- The first thing to do before starting to build a gas fire pit in your backyard is to decide on one of the many fire pit designs at your disposal. The design will decide a whole lot of things for you.
- Once you decide a design for your gas fire pit, study the fire pit plans according to the landscape you will be placing it in.
- Once the position for gas fire pit is decided, measure the width and height of the fire ring that you will place in the pit and then make measurements in your yard. You will need to extend these measures for the fire pits.
- You will now need to dig a hole which has to be deeper than one foot.
- Now take the bricks and lay the first set around the pit that you have dug to start constructing the walls of the fire pit. Set the concrete in such a manner that it forms a circle. Let the inside edges touch each other. This will create V-shaped gaps in the structure.
- Take the mortar mix and fill the V-shaped gaps with it using a trowel.
- Next, start laying bricks around the perimeter of the concrete using mortar to set the bricks in place.
- Now take the firebricks and set it in the inner perimeter of the structure that you have created. Use mortar to set the bricks in place. Allow this to set for at least 24 hours.
- At one end of the structure, drill a hole. This allows you to place the gas line for the gas fire pit. It is advised to hire a professional.
- Once gas line is laid, insert the fire ring in the pit at 3 to 5 inches from the edge. Connect it to the gas line but ensure gas is turned off when you do this. Use lava or sand rocks to cover the fire ring.
There are different ideas that you can use to build a fire pit in your backyard. Remember that it can be a safety hazard and therefore you need to maintain complete safety while using one. Do not let any combustible items sit around it. This can cause an accidental fire. Also, avoid using the gas line on a windy day as it can cause the fire to spread.
Gas lines need to be checked constantly to ensure that they are clean and that the air flow is not blocked. Also instruct your children to stay away from the fire pit. As long as proper safety measures are followed, using a fire pit can lead to many memorable moments where you have had fun using it for impromptu cooking sessions or camping nights.