Cucumbers help prevent disorders like acidity, blood pressure, fever, and are used to treat sunburns. They are widely used for cooking purposes like making salads and pickles. They are most nutritious if eaten fresh and raw. You can always differenciate between homegrown cucumbers and those available in market.
Growing Cucumbers in Containers
Many types of cucumbers can be grown indoors and the process for indoor gardening is the same for all types. English and Armenian cucumbers are great for salads and lemon cucumbers are great for pickles. After you choose the cucumber variety to be grown and got the seeds, these instructions can be followed:
- Another thing to keep in mind is that, the compost in the containers should be completely damp, because the seeds have hard shells, and insufficient water might lead to no germination.
- Now, cover the containers with plastic cling film and store this pot in a warm room where the temperature remains between 18 - 25ºF.
- After the seeds are germinated, remove the cling film and keep them in a place like a greenhouse, where they get some sunlight and a steady temperature is maintained.
- Within 3 weeks, you will observe that the roots are growing. This is the time to repot them, using pots that are 6 inches deep.
- When these pots are full of roots and four leaves can be seen fully expanded, you should pinch out the growing tips.
- Now is time to repot again, using containers 12 inches deep. Erect a wooden stick or cane for the vine to climb upon. You can also hang a wire to the greenhouse roof.
- When the cucumbers grow a moderate size, remove them with a sharp knife.
Growing Cucumber Upside Down
This technique is to be used after the root balls of the cucumber plant start appearing. If you have limited space, you can try container gardening of cucumbers, upside down. This way you need not worry about staking the plant. For growing cucumbers upside down, choose a suitable container and make sure there is a hole at the bottom of the container.
For better maintenance, you can hang these containers. Place a small piece of newspaper at the bottom of this container as this will help to anchor the cucumber plant till it becomes strong, and also prevent the soil from washing out of the hole.
Cut a slit in the newspaper for the plants to come out, and then carefully take out the plant through the hole, upside down. This method of gardening also helps in preventing pests.