Nevertheless, with proper planning and a little forethought, you can surely maintain luxuriant green lawn that everyone will envy. A simple trick is to sow grass seed in shaded areas and follow proper lawn care instructions.
What is the Best Grass Seed to Plant in the Shade?
So, your lawn falls in a shaded area, and you want to grow the best grass seed there? For any type of lawn, selecting grass seeds suited for the particular location and climatic conditions in the area is a mandatory step. Search for lawn grass types and you will come across a plethora of them, which call for specific growth conditions.
The kind of grass seed will depend on how much light the planting site receives on a daily basis. Say for instance, grass that is resistant to partial shade will not grow luxuriantly in full shaded areas. Hence, first determine the amount of sunlight exposure and also, the temperature condition.
How to Plant Grass Seed in the Shade
Considering the fact that grasses are native to full sunlit areas (not forest floor), following correct grass seed planting tips is important for a healthy turf in shade. A simple trick is to clear up anything reducing exposure of grasses to sunlight. For example, remove fallen leaves or grass clippings regularly to allow optimal light.
Refer to these tips for planting shade grass seed.
- Clean the planting site and remove plant debris, weeds and large rocks. Using correct tool for gardening, loosen the top soil layer (at least 2-3 inch) to ensure quick development of roots. Also, do not forget to level soil evenly.
- Plan the grass sowing time so that there is time for growth after seed germination. Seedlings should have enough time to develop leaves before leaf fall.
- When to plant grass seed? It is best to sow grass seed for shade before fall season. This makes sure that the sprouted grass seeds are not covered by leaves fallen from the deciduous trees in the yard.
- With seed spreader, sow seeds to cover the area. You can use garden rake to lightly cover grass seeds with soil. Water lightly after sowing, and cover seeds with straw to avoid drying.
- Though bluegrass grows fast, applying fertilizer is good for healthy growth. Same is with saint augustine grass, fescue grass. Select fertilizer with less nitrogen.
- Avoid overfeeding lawn grass, or it will increase grass maintenance level. Excess fertilization leads to rapid growth of grass and thatch buildup, and increases disease infestation risk.
- Lastly, reduce shading effect of shrubs and tall trees. You can trim the branches 6 feet high from the lawn grass. This will enhance air circulation and light penetration.
Follow correct grass growing tips for a uniform green lawn. If you notice thinning patches or grasses that are getting dried, it may be a sign of reduced light intensity. For heavy shade condition, planting shade tolerant ground covers is a better idea than growing grass seed for shade. So, make a prompt decision and proceed with your gardening project.