Do you know there is a variety in tomato plants, which produces tomatoes that weigh more than 1 pound each. Yes, these are the beefsteak tomatoes which are the largest tomatoes in the world. They are not only good in size but they are also known for their nutrient values. So, without wasting time let's find out some more details about this big fat red tomato.
About Beefsteak Tomatoes
Tomatoes belong to the nightshade family. There are many different types of tomatoes among which beefsteak tomato plants are considered to give the biggest fruits. They can be found in many colors ranging from bright red to yellow or even purple black. They do not have a particular spherical or oval shape like the other tomatoes, instead they can be found in a kidney or bean shape. There are many varieties of beefsteak tomatoes such as Big Beef, Brandywine, Bucking Bronco, Beefmaster VFN (hybrid), etc. Among all these varieties, the most popular is the Big Beef. It is famous for its flavor and consistency.
The plant can produce fruit in the entire summer and can continue doing it till the first frost. The fruit takes approximately 90 days to ripen. On ripening, their flesh becomes juicy and soft. They have many seed compartments inside their shell. This helps them to hold all the seeds and when sliced they make a perfect structure. The fruit can be picked when green and can be allowed to ripen on the counter top. Although this process will give you quick fruit, the flavor will not be the same as the real ripe ones. Hence, let the it ripen on the vine so as to maintain the flavor, color and juiciness of the fruit. It is not necessary to store them in the refrigerator as they stay best in the room temperature i.e. 13ºC to 21ºC.
Beefsteak is rich in nutrient values and has many health benefits. The table given below will help you to understand the nutritional facts about tomatoes. It will give you details about the calories, fats, carbohydrates, proteins and vitamin in one serving which is about 133g.
|Beefsteak Nutrients||Values (Serving Size - 133g)|
How to Grow them?
These tomatoes are easy to grow. You just need to have the required material and time to take care of them. Follow the steps given below on growing tomatoes and how to get juicy and tasty beefsteak tomatoes in your garden.
- Tomato plant
- Tomato Cage
- Garden Rake
- The most important thing to do is to get a place which can get lots of sunlight. Select a place in your garden and add some mulch and composite to the soil. If the soil is sand or clay type, then just mix some growing soil in it. Do not plant the tomato plant on the place on which you have planted it last year. Once the place is ready, go to the nursery and get the bud plants.
- Now dig a hole, make the soil wet by pouring some water and place the plant in it. Cover it with soil and manure. Pour some water again. If you want to plant more tomatoes then maintain a considerable distance so that the roots get sufficient place to grow.
- Now you can place a tomato cage so as to let the plant grow in an upright manner and so that its fruits do not touch the ground. You can plant French Marigold in between the tomato plants which will help your plant to stay away from nematodes.
- Take care of your plant, water it properly and keep it away from the worms, bugs and other insects. Save you plant from getting any types of diseases.
- You can harvest the first fruit within 85-90 days. Let the fruits ripen on the vines so that it has its real taste and nutritional values.