The exhilarating beauty of flowers has always been a source of inspiration and fascination for people all around the world. Their intoxicating smell and the rainbow of colors that they are available in have an enthralling effect. Whether it is for expressing your love, as a gesture of affection, or even as a source of inspiration for poets, flowers are an integral part of our lives and are a staple on birthdays, funerals, graduation, and weddings. One of the most popular and beautiful flowers is the aster. With their wildflower beauty and lush textures, these flowers have always been considered enchanting.
Asters are wild perennial flowers that are found mostly in North America and Southern Europe. They are a popular choice for gardens because of their pretty and jazzy flower heads, along with their wide range of colors. The aster flower family has more than 600 species that are widely distributed all over the world, one of the most common variety being the Monte Casino. The word "aster" is derived from Greek and means "starlike flowers", mostly because of the shape of their blossoms. These flowers are available in a variety of exotic colors ranging from white, red, pink, purple, lavender, blue, to even bi-colors. No matter what the color of the flower is, most of the flower heads are yellow. Asters flourish best in the late summer up till the beginning of autumn.
- The aster is not a single flower. While the aster may look like a single flower, it is actually a collection of very tiny tubular flowers that are grouped together in a central disk and surrounded by colorful petals. This gives the illusion of a single flower.
- Similar to daisies, asters have a star-shaped flower head. Just like the stars in the sky, these flowers are found abundantly throughout the world as they grow in a wide range of climates, from the tropics to the cooler regions in the North.
- The origin of aster dates back over 4,000 years and has been used to decorate homes and gardens for centuries. They are part of the largest family of flowering plant-families, Asteraceae. Approximately 600 species form the Aster genus, which are native to North America and can be easily spotted throughout the country for their lovely clusters of purple, blue, pink, white, or red petals.
- Another interesting fact is that aster is the common name attributed to this flower throughout the universe. This flower is called aster in many other languages, including Swedish, Spanish, French, and Dutch.
- Asters most commonly bloom during the late summer and fall months. In October, when the leaves begin to fall and the sky begins to darken, asters liven the surroundings with their lovely pastel colors.
- These flowers are very versatile. Aside from being used in gardens or as fresh cut flowers, in certain countries, like Denmark and Holland, they are commonly seen and used to create an eye-catching windowsill decoration. Since they are smaller than daisies, they are perfect for many windowsills. They are also ideal for tabletop bouquets or centerpieces, and flower arrangements either on their own or as a complement to other festive flowers.
Meaning and Symbolism
Besides being exotically beautiful, this flower also has special flower meaning. While the exact meaning of aster flower is not very clear, there are a lot of different versions. In ancient times, it was believed that the perfume from burning their leaves would drive evil serpents away. This is the reason that it was seen in a lot of home gardens. Another meaning is that they came into being when the Greek goddess Asterea cried, thus they are considered a love charm that has mystical powers. Also, they were laid on the grave of French soldiers as a symbol for their wish for a revised ending to the battle. Today, while some believe that they are a symbol of love and patience, others believe that giving someone asters often means "I am not sure whether you are being faithful or not". So, just be careful about whom you give asters to. Aside from this, this is the birth flower of the month of September.
With so many interesting facts and meanings associated with it, it is no wonder that people love growing asters and using them as decoration for their homes and gardens. They are refreshing and exotic beautiful flowers that have been loved by people all over the world for centuries.